A mostly monthly but forever occasional round-up of what I've been up to and what I plan to be. For full credits and details, see this entry.
Colleen of the future (places I'll be)
- South by Southwest Interactive in Austin, TX (March 11 - 16) Sometimes called "Spring Break for Nerds," other times called "that week where you see how much you can shout over music at loud parties without losing your voice," SxSWi has become my favorite conference of the year. I'm notoriously squirrely about pinning myself down to events, panels and any other hard commitments, finding I do better when I can roam free and meet up at random. That said, I'll be joining the stellar lineup of Mike Monteiro's famed Battledecks! panel (think "death by PowerPoint karaoke." And pray for me.)
- The Astoundingly Simple Secrets to Making Social Media Work for You (March 23, online at Freelancers Union; $30 for members, and membership is free!) If you missed my talk at last year's Creative Freelancer Conference, this is your chance to catch the new and improved version (see? good things come to those who wait). And while we're at it, if you're interested in attending this year's CFC in Denver, you can get an additional $25 off the Early Bird price (ends March 12) using the code "4D".
Colleen of the Past (stuff I did you might not know about)
- Interview at the Get Inspired! Project Thanks to the awesome and ever-generous Dyana Valentine, I was interviewed by Toni Reece for her year-long project aggregating the insights of all kinds of people into what it takes to stay inspired. We had great fun (Toni is a master interviewer!), which you can either read or listen to at the project's website.
- storytelling at w o r d s p a c e spoken word evening My friend Brenda Varda invited me to share a story at her rebooted salon evening, so I shared the one about how we lost most of my childhood stuff when Mom couldn't pay the storage fees. You can read about my experience here and here, or just go watch the video on YouTube.
- Dying to Be Born After being both inspired by Seth Godin's multi-contributor ebook supporting Linchpin and disappointed to find so few feminine voices contained within, yogini, certified Martha Beck coach, and all-around terrific lady, Lianne Raymond, decided to "answer" Seth's project with one of her own. This one is heavy on the feminine but still all about the issues Seth's contributors (including yours truly!) discussed. My contribution is a brand new, heretofore unpublished poem. So all you Poetry Thursday freaks who haven't already, go download that sh*t right now!
Colleen of the Present (ongoing projects)
- communicatrix | focuses My monthly newsletter devoted to the all-important subject of increasing your unique fabulosity. One article per month (with actionable tips! and minimal bullsh*t!) about becoming a better communicator, plus the best few of the many cool things I stumble across in my travels. Plus a tiny drawing by moi. Free! (archives & sign-up)
- Act Smart! is my monthly column about marketing for actors for LA Casting, but I swear, you'll find stuff in it that's useful, too. Browse the archives, here.
- Internet flotsam And of course, I snark it up on Twitter, chit-chat on Facebook, post the odd video or quote to Tumblr, and bookmark the good stuff I find on my travels at StumbleUpon and delicious. If you like this sort of stuff, follow me in those places, I only post a fraction of what I find to Twitter and Facebook.