A mostly monthly but forever occasional round-up of what I've been up to and what I plan to be. For full credits and details, see this entry.
Colleen of the future (places I'll be)
- November L.A. Biznik Mixer at Jerry's Famous [Los Angeles] , If you're L.A.-local or visiting the area and are somehow pursuing your own small venture, please join us at the monthly mixer I co-sponsor with my pal, Heather Parlato. Join up here (free membership, which is nice), then sign up here.
- The Career Clinic radio talk show (Saturday, November 13; 10am PT; 12pm CT; 1pm ET) We had such a good time in April, I'm coming back! This time, Maureen and I will be talking about advertising: an overview of my experience in it, but also how I got out and what skills ended up being useful in my next careers. You can join the discussion by calling toll-free (888-598-8464), or sending email to thecareerclinictalkshow AT gmail DOT com. Query away, I will answer ALL, even if I know the answer or not. Which should keep things interesting! Click here for a list of stations you can tune in at; we'll have links to the show up sometime later.
- L.A. stop of the Unconventional Book Tour [Los Angeles, Friday, December 10], I'm a big fan of Chris Guillebeau, so whenever he's in the vicinity, I try to make it out. You know the book is great, then come out to Book Soup to meet the man behind it. Sign up at the Book Tour website for updates on other details.
Colleen of the Past (stuff I did you might not know about)
- TEDxGreatPacificGarbagePatch I attended as an audience member, not a speaker, because I know squattale about the issues. But this info-rich and inspiring event moved me to learn more, and to take action. There should be videos up from the day soon; I especially recommend Long Beach Vice-Mayor Suja Lowenthal's talk on the costs and imperatives of cleaning up a downstream city, Beth Terry's "My Plastic-Free Life," and student activist Jordan Howard's talk on her transformation from studious but self-involved teen to outspoken catalyst for change. (Hey! All ladies, whaddya know?) Out of many excellent talks, these three did an exceptional job of delivering information in a compelling way that made me want to jump up and take action. (Poetry lovers, you will adore Ellyn Maybe's delightful poem!)
Colleen of the Present (ongoing projects)
- communicatrix | focuses My monthly newsletter devoted to the ways and means of becoming a better clearer communicator (plus a few special treats I post nowhere else). Free! (archives & sign-up)
- Act Smart! is my monthly column about marketing for actors for LA Casting, but I swear, you'll find stuff in it that's useful, too. Browse the archives, here.
- Internet flotsam If you suffer from a surfeit of time, you can always look for me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, StumbleUpon and delicious.