Wednesday is List Day here at communicatrix.com. Imagine my consternation, then, when I pulled up this entry from Evelyn Rodriguez's always-stimulating blog this morning in my RSS reader and realized I could not possibly coast on Fave Rave Eric Rohmer Flix or 10 Ways to Ace Yourself Out of a Date with the Communicatrix Through Your Profile Alone, but would have to address the role of risk in effecting change. Unless...
Well, unless I can combine the two. How would it look if I did? What could be gained by compiling a list instead of writing an essay? How might I feel if I were able to do it? What impact might it have on my life as an artist, a blogger, a designer, a friend & companion?
And so, my list. I put these things forth not to toot my own horn, but to tell everyone within shouting distance,"if an a**hole like me can do it, imagine what you smart people can do":
"IMPOSSIBLE" ACCOMPLISHMENTS ACCRUED BY SAYING "YES," NOT "HOW?"
- Got copywriting job with worst book in ad history.
- Got into Groundlings Sunday Company with no prior experience being funny.
- Did not die when world collapsed after being unceremoniously booted from Sunday Company. (NOTE: Seriously, this was worse than any breakup, divorce or death of a loved one I have experienced. Yeah, I'm nuts; I'm an actress, for cryin' out loud.)
- Wormed my way into best 99-seat theater company in L.A. with worst resume in L.A. theater history.
- Became working actress at 36 (that's 207 in Hollywood Years).
- Despite dour prognosis from Son-of-Mengele Colorectal Surgeon, went from Miss Bloody Hamburger Intestines of 2002 to a clean colonoscopy in two years.
- Co-wrote & produced play about aforementioned bloody colon that people actually came to see.
- Taught myself enough graphic design to pass.
- Got invited to blog for honest-to-jesus metblog.
- Met blogging idol.
What dream can you say "yes" to right now?