A mostly monthly but certainly occasional round-up of what I've been up to and what's in the hopper. For full credits and details, see this entry.
Colleen of the future (stuff I'll be doing)
- Fundraising on the Mac with IndieGoGo [Apple Store, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica: TONIGHT, 9/21, 7-8pm] I'll be featured on this monthly panel, talking about (I assume) some of what I learned during my recently-completed 50-for-50 Project.
- "Making People Love You Madly" tour [October dates: San Diego, 10/6; Boston, 10/11; Minneapolis, 10/19] I'm hitting the road with a beefed-up version of my "marketing in the postmodern age" talk starting early in October for my client, the American Society of Media Photographers. Many of the chapters allow non-members to attend for a fee. This version of the talk uses specific examples from the world of commercial photography, but anyone with a small creative business will come away with plenty of ideas. And, if you're good at networking, many new contacts from the world of photography!
- October L.A. Biznik Mixer at Jerry's Famous [Los Angeles; Wednesday, October 19 OCTOBER 26!] Fun, free, low-key networking plus great tips, tricks and ideas from your fellow indie-biz folk, which of course includes me. Duh. My co-host again this month is South Bay illustrator Donna Barger. Rumor has it there will be buttons available to support a certain cause. And that they are effing awesome. Join up here (free membership, which is nice), and you'll be emailed when the notice goes live.
- Seattle Interactive Conference [Seattle, November 2-3] I'll be presenting a new talk on the Biznik Stage, all about the b.s. of "silver bullets," and how regular people can mobilize an audience.
Colleen of the Past (what I have done for you lately)
- Interviews! 50 of them! :: To support the cause, I've solicited interviews with 50 terrific, inspiring women writers. Seriously, tons of good reading, plus tips on more good reading. (What? Of course I asked? Get 50 fab ladywriters together and not ask for their best resources? Are you kidding me?)
- My 50th Birthday Party/Head-Shaving :: And a good time was had by all! In addition to the event photos by Barry Schwartz, there's a full set of photobooth shots by Josh Ross. Talented fellows, both of them! (And video to come...soon, I hope!)
Colleen of the Present (stuff I do, rain or shine)
- communicatrix | focuses :: My monthly newsletter devoted to the ways and means of becoming a better clearer communicator (plus a few special treats I post nowhere else). This month: How to talk FAST (or, pulling a talk for 500 people out of your ass the night before). Free!
- Act Smart! is my monthly column about marketing for LA Casting. Nominally for actors, there's a ton of good info in there for any creative business person. Browse the archives, here.
- Internet flotsam :: If you suffer from a surfeit of time, you can always look for me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, StumbleUpon and delicious. Oh, and that Google+ all the nerds are yakking about. But not much yet. Only so many hours in a day.