Making them is soothing, stimulating and illuminating all at once. (Also, a hands-on lesson in the old saw that making something look easy is hard work.)
I'm not sure how good this year's list is; honestly, I think that having so much social media in my life has acted as kind of a steam valve for my one-offs, instead of serving as a record of the past year's minor frustrations, accomplishments and general oddities. But I gave it a go because dammit, that's the kind of gal I am.
So without further ado, I give you my year in a list, Part the First. Enjoy!
- When in doubt, throw shit out.
- Always be reading.
- It takes a (global, electronic) village to make a video.
- The iPhone is like a unicorn that actually exists.
- With magic ruby peonies woven into its mane.
- And a double ice cream rainbow in the background lighting the way.
- Facebook is still the AOL of social media platforms.
- Sometime in the middle of this year, that became a good thing.
- The shortest distance between you and regular exercise is a youngish dog.
- She who makes fun of LOST is doomed to become addicted to it.
- It sucks that making the logical, mature decision is considered a miracle.
- But that does not diminish the awesomeness of it happening.
- Working is easy; focusing is hard.
- A good bra is like money in the bank.
- Only it's not, because good bras are REALLY expensive.
- And banks are, like, not so good with the money, as it turns out.
- Have a plan, but make it a loose one.
- Learn to say "no" or die buried under your crushing pile of well-intentioned "yes"-es.
- The Wire may be the most clearheaded depiction of America since The Godfather.
- When in doubt, just add water.
- And coffee.
- Lots and lots of coffee.
- Change takes longer than you think it will, but is generally worth the wait.
- The Change takes even longer and had goddamn well better be.
- If you think COBRA is bad, wait until it runs out.
- And you are over 40.
- With a pre-existing condition.
- Networking does not, in fact, have to suck.
- Everybody farts.
- There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think Wiis are stupid, and those who have played them.
- I miss performing (NSFW).
- And, apparently, starring in commercials.
- And, finally, at long last and without reservations, my dad.
- Setting a goal to have more sex is a great idea.
- Telling the person you're going to be having the sex with about the goal to have more sex is not.
- Life becomes exponentially more awesome for each person you add to your life who is cooler than you.
- And a better citizen.
- And more talented.
- Astrology may be bullshit, but I'll be damned if I buy another piece of electronic equipment when Mercury is retrograde.
- I am a starter, not a finisher.
- I don't hate TV; I hate paying for it.
- Also, sometime while I was watching Hulu, Bravo devolved into the Schadenfreude Channel.
- If you want a real-time demonstration of the journey being the point, get yourself to Inbox Zero.
- The world won't end if you hide your light under a bushel, but someone is sure to trip in the dark.
- Legs' status as The Last Things to Go notwithstanding, there is an age after which one should not wear a miniskirt.
- At least, in public.
- Don't bother using Firefox with less than 4 gigs of RAM at your disposal.
- A made bed and a clean sink won't solve everything, but they make it easier to deal with almost anything.
- I would rather win one fan for life by telling the truth than a thousand for five minutes by fudging it.
- (Did I mention that's a really great outfit you're wearing?)
Can't wait until the next installment? Why not learn from the past while you wait?